At Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute, we have orthopedic specialists who are skilled in all areas of knee and leg conditions, so you can feel confident that you are getting the best possible treatment for your injury.
With an extensive background in sports medicine, our team has expertise in treating injuries, as well as helping you avoid future injury. We understand that, for many of our patients, sports and fitness are at the center of their life and well-being, so we provide the most effective treatments to get you back to an active lifestyle as quickly as possible.
Which knee and leg conditions are treated at Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute?
Our team treats simple to complex knee and leg injuries, including traumatic and sports-related injuries, as well as chronic conditions. At Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute, we treat:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries
- Arthritis or osteoarthritis
- Baker’s cyst (popliteal cyst)
- Breaststroke swimmer’s knee
- Chondromalacia patella
- Dislocated kneecap
- Fat pad impingement (Hoffa’s syndrome)
- Hyperextended knee
- Iliotibial band syndrome
- Locked knee
- Knee tendon bursitis
- Lateral collateral ligament (LCL) injury
- Loose bodies of the knee joint
- Medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury
- Meniscal cyst
- Meniscal tear
- Osgood-Schlatter disease
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Jumper’s knee (patellar tendinitis)
- Patellar tendon tear
- Runner’s knee (patellofemoral pain syndrome)
- Plica syndrome
- Posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury
- Prepatellar (kneecap) bursitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Unstable kneecap (patellar instability or subluxation)
- Anterior compartment syndrome
- Breaks and fractures
- Calf muscle strain or tear
- Fibula fracture
- Hamstring strain or tear
- Quadriceps muscle strain or tear
- Quadriceps tendon tear
- Patellar tendon tear
- Piriformis syndrome
- Shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome)
- Tibial stress fracture
How are knee and leg injuries diagnosed?
At Miami Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Institute, your diagnosis starts with a physical exam. After this initial exam, we often use diagnostic tests to confirm the type of knee or leg injury you have. We may use ultrasound, high-resolution MRIs, X-rays and CT scans to help determine the location and extent of your injury and how best to treat it.
How are knee and leg conditions treated at Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute?
When treating knee and leg injuries, our goal is to try to keep you as active as possible, while also finding a way to effectively treat your condition. This means we may start with conservative treatments, such as braces, splints or pain medicines. Our sports medicine physicians may also use steroid injections to help relieve pain and inflammation.
In some cases, we may also recommend physical therapy to help rebuild strength.
If your injury is severe, or if conservative therapies are no longer effective in treating your condition, we may recommend surgery. In many cases, we will use minimally invasive techniques, such as arthroscopic surgery, to remove damaged bone or repair ligaments.
Part of your treatment plan will also include information on how to avoid reinjuring your knee or leg. Our physical therapists and trainers will work closely with you to modify techniques or routines so you can prevent future problems.
- ACL Injuries
- Bucket Handle Meniscus Tears
- Congenital Discrepancy in Limb Length
- Crush Injury Leg
- Knee Pain
- Lateral Collateral Ligament Tear
- Leg Fracture
- Leg Injury
- Leg Pain
- Medial Collateral Ligament Injury of the Knee
- Meniscus Injury
- Multi-ligament Knee Injury
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Patella Injury
- Periprosthetic Femur Fracture
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Tear
- Quadricep Injury
- Shin Splints
- Tibia Fracture
- Torn Meniscus
- ACL Repair
- Hyaluronic Acid Injections
- Knee Arthroplasty
- Knee Injection
- Knee Surgery
- Meniscal Surgery
- Patellar Stabilization
- Patellofemoral Arthroplasty
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament Repair
- Reconstructive Knee Surgery
- Tendon Repair Surgery
- Torn Meniscus Repair
- Total Knee Replacement
Who benefits from this program?
Our team has expertise in treating all types of knee and leg conditions or injuries. Whether you’re a weekend warrior, a sports or fitness enthusiast, or a professional athlete, we are here to care for anyone experiencing knee and leg problems.
When you come to Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute for knee and leg care, you can expect:
- A treatment plan that aims to get you back to an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
- A compassionate team that cares about your well-being and provides a personalized approach for your treatment and recovery.
- Physicians and surgeons who specialize in your specific injury or condition, so you can feel confident you’re getting the best possible treatment.
Meet the team
- Knee Physical Therapy Intro Sequence
- Seated Calf Stretch with Strap
- Standing Hamstring Stretch
- Standing Quadricep Stretch
- Wall Slides Sits
- Short Arc Quad
- Side Lying Clam Shell
- Side Lying Hip Abduction
- Side Lying Hip Adduction
- Standing 3 Way Hip Exercise
- Standing Hamstring Curls
- Step Ups
- Quad Sets
- Knee Flexion with Band Prone Position
- Hip Adduction with Pillow
- Straight Leg Raises
- Sit to Stand
Research and Education
Our highly skilled physicians remain on the cutting edge of orthopedic research.